Welcome to my travel blog! Over the next 10 weeks I will be travelling throughout Europe and will share my adventure here. The name of this blog is a Latin phrase which translates roughly to mean 'to gain, understand, perceive'. It explains perfectly what I hope to experience in this trip; a sense of understanding and appreciation for life all around the world.



Saturday, January 22, 2011

Photos

Finally, a good internet connection! Before I post about the last 2 days, I want to share some photos of Ephesus and my time in Kusadasi.

First, a shot of the main street in Ephesus.


A fountain dedicated to Emperor Domitian.

 A close up of a temple dedicated to Fortuna - the goddess of Fortune


The Library - such an impressive building!! I managed to trip over the front steps and fall off. Sigh.


I love this shot. It was such a beautiful day!


The theater where St Paul preached (and also where Elton John and Sting, among others, have performed). I like St Paul more though.


The house where Mary allegedly spent her last days with St John.


The surroundings of the house - it was such a peaceful place.


The only column left of the 122 that made up the Temple of Artemis. It's actually made up of all the different pieces though!

The view from my hotel room in Kusadasi.


The view from the little village where my guide took me. Most of the villagers work in the fields.


Some of the pillars left of the Basilica of St John the Evangelist. This is actually the tomb of St John, though his relics have long been removed and taken to Europe.


The Basilica looks down on the mosque that was built in the 14th century when the Ottoman Empire conquered Turkey.

A shot of the tombs in the mountain side where the Christians buried their dead during the Roman persecution.


Just a little snap shot of the views in the area. To make you jealous :)


I'll post more about my time going to Troy and Gallipoli today, but tonight I have to get some rest. I have an early flight to Barcelona tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. C these photos are amazing. Real postcard stuff. We have just come back from Perth and the photos of Turkey's landscape is similar to WA. Perhaps it's all the light coloured stone they use. The folks in WA say g'day! As for the creepy guys...eeewww, cant help you much here other than save a dark chocolate wrapper and strategically place a few pieces over your teeth. Then give them a dazzling smile and watch their reaction. Might be funny just to try it out anyway. We miss you but cant wait to see where you post from next. Big love. Mum

    ReplyDelete