Welcome to my travel blog! Over the next 10 weeks I will be travelling throughout Europe and will share my adventure here. The name of this blog is a Latin phrase which translates roughly to mean 'to gain, understand, perceive'. It explains perfectly what I hope to experience in this trip; a sense of understanding and appreciation for life all around the world.



Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back in London Town

I landed in Heathrow yesterday afternoon after a pretty horrible 24 hour flight. I'm glad I chose a window seat because the couple next to me played musical chairs the entire flight. When we landed I got talking to a few young Aussies off like me on adventures - one guy was starting his very own 'Around the World in 80 Days' like in the Jules Vern book.

I made it to my hostel on the train after a number of changes due to industrial strike action on many of the train lines in London. By this tiem I was looking forward to my bed but I didn't want to stay stuck in Australian time so I went for a walk and popped in to Brompton Oratory (my favourite Church in London) and managed to be there just in time for Latin mass - quite a treat! I only wish I had been more awake to enjoy it more.

Today I went to the Victoria and Albert museum. I've been there once before when I was in London 2 years ago, so this time I just focussed on the sections I really liked. One of these was the jewellery section - I am drawn to anything sparkly or shiny so I was in fits of rapture as I persused the halls of diamonds!

I also popped in to Harrods - I didn't go there last time I was in London and everyone asked about it so I went this time and I have to say I don't really see what the fuss is about. If big name brands and overpriced market foods are your thing then you will probably love it. But 30 mins of walking through the handbag galleries (all 8 of them!) and being constantly checked by security was enough for me.

Far more exciting for me was that it snowed today! It was quite light, just enough to dampen my clothes, but it was so magical! It just seems to float in the air. The Londoners didn't seem to be too impressed by it though - in the short time I have been here I have nmever heard so many people complain about the weather! It must be the lack of light - makes them grumpy :)

Tonight I'm off to see the Phantom of the Opera at the West End in London. I haven't seen it before and figure London is the best place to see it!

Apologies for the lac of photos - for some reason my laptop doesn't want to connect to any wifi I can find and the hostel computer doesn't have a USB port. Quite annoying! I will endevour to get some photos up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment