Welcome to my travel blog! Over the next 10 weeks I will be travelling throughout Europe and will share my adventure here. The name of this blog is a Latin phrase which translates roughly to mean 'to gain, understand, perceive'. It explains perfectly what I hope to experience in this trip; a sense of understanding and appreciation for life all around the world.



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Butterflies!

Today I decided to do something new so I went to the Butterfly House! It's actually kind of attached to the Imperial Palaces and the museums, though I am not sure how old it is. Who knows, perhaps the Hapsburgs got sick of balls and had butterfly parties now and then?

I haven't been to a buttergly house since I was about 10 I think so it was quite nice to re-live my youth (well younger youth I suppose!). It was also a perfect day to go because just as yesterday the weather was clear and beautiful, today it was damp and cold - a fog hung over the city all day making it rather grey. It made the city look like the perfect setting for some kind of 19th century gothic novel!

It was really nice to spend some time in the tropical warmth and be surrounded by greenery. I had forgotten how relaxed being around trees and flowers makes me. And there were butterflies fluttering around everywhere, reducing even grown men to exclamations of "oh, how sweet they are!" (Except they said "Super! Sie sind alle so suss!") Who says German and Austrian men aren't sensitive new age guys?!

I've included a few shots - I admit I got a bit trigger-happy. I love taking photos of nature. Those are gold fish in the pond in pciture 3.








Due to the weather and it making it difficult to see much I went back to the hostel this afternoon to do some preparation for Italy - I needed to book some more hostels and decide what I want to see when I'm there. I discovered that Italian hostels are super-expensive. So I ended up just going for 2-3 star hotels that were the same price, if not cheaper, and I get my own room! However, I am readily finding that the original budget I had planned for this trip is not going to be enough. Luckily, I have extra savings - but when I get home I'll be nice and poor and living on my parents' charity - thanks Mum and Dad!

Tomorrow evening it's off to Rome - 3 weeks in Italy. After living with an Italian for most of the year and having lots of Italian friends, I am super excited to see their country and find out more about their culture!

And just lastly - there was a bit of scandal in the hostel room last night. The two American girls I mentioned last post ended up having one pretty big night and in fact this morning when we got up, there was a boy in our room (this is an all girl room) and a few of the other girls were not impressed at all and told the receptionist, who came in the room and threw him out!! Quite a bit of excitement to start the day off with :) One of the girls lay in her bed groaning "The pain! My head hurts! Why did I drink so much?" Can't say she got too much pity from the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment